Please Note: You are viewing the non-styled version of the OHIO DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY. Either your browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or it is disabled. We suggest upgrading your browser to the latest version of your favorite Internet browser.
What is an administrative rule?
Administrative rules amplify and implement provisions of the Ohio Revised Code and once adopted, have the full force and effect of law.
Pursuant to section 119.032 of the Ohio Revised Code, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) is required to review each of its administrative rules every five years and decide if a rule should be rescinded, amended, or continued without change. During this process, BMV will determine if:
• BMV has the statutory authority to promulgate the rule;
• The rule duplicates or conflicts with statutes found in the Revised Code or other rules found in the Administrative Code;
• The rule has a specific purpose and an outcome that can be articulated;
• The rule can be applied consistently across all sizes and sectors of business and would not impede economic development;
• The rule is easy to understand;
• The rule is reasonably balanced between regulatory need and Ohioans' burden to comply; and
• The outlined process in the rule is the most efficient and cost-effective method to achieving the specific outcome.
The administrative rules in this section are drafts only and have not yet been filed (proposed for adoption) with LSC and JCARR.
All interested parties are invited to offer public comment at BMV-DLR.email@example.com regarding the proposed rescission of rule 4501:1-4-01 (“Definitions”); proposed new rules 4501:1-4-03 (“Motor Vehicle Salvage Dealer, Salvage Motor Vehicle Pool, or Salvage Motor Vehicle Auction Required to Maintain Net Worth”), and 4501:1-4-24 (“Disqualifying Offenses”); and proposed changes to rules 4501:1-4-02 (“Information to Accompany Application for Motor Vehicle Salvage Dealer’s License, Salvage Motor Vehicle Pool License, Salvage Motor Vehicle Auction License, or Buyer’s Identification Card”), 4501:1-4-04 (“Place of Business Required for Motor Vehicle Salvage Dealers, Salvage Motor Vehicle Pools and Salvage Motor Vehicle Auctions”) and 4501:1-4-22 (“Nature of and Length of Time Records Will be Maintained”) of the Ohio Administrative Code. Public comments may be submitted through 11:59 p.m. on September 2, 2015.
The administrative rules in this section have been filed (proposed for adoption) with LSC and JCARR and may be scheduled for a public hearing. Public hearings provide another opportunity for interested persons, who may be affected by the proposed rules, to provide testimony or evidence to show that the rules would be unreasonable or unlawful if enacted.
The administrative rules in this section have been approved and adopted.
For questions regarding the administrative rulemaking process, contact Rules Administrator Joe Kirk.