2023 ONIC Law Enforcement Drug Summit
When: June 21 – 22, 2023
Where: Fawcett Center, 2400 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus, OH
The Ohio Narcotics Intelligence Center (ONIC) and Ohio Department of Public Safety is excited to host the 2nd annual ONIC Law Enforcement Drug Summit. This free in-person event is for criminal justice professionals with interests in investigations, intelligence, digital forensics, and laboratory science. Presentations will include experts addressing trends impacting the drug landscape within Ohio and drug reduction strategies.
The summit will provide an opportunity for law enforcement, prosecutors, intelligence analyst, crime lab and other criminal justice personnel to share best practices, training, and resources with criminal justice stakeholders across the state. Summit presentations and training opportunities will include experts in intelligence, crime labs, interdiction, and task force operations.
The ONIC welcomes anyone working in law enforcement agencies, Intel, crime labs, drug task forces, the judicial system, and other criminal justice professions to attend the conference.
2023 ONIC Law Enforcement Drug Summit Agenda
Lou Valoze, Retired Undercover ATF Agent
Having spent the last two decades of his career with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) working in an undercover capacity, Lou transitioned from conducting street level narcotic and firearm transactions to traveling throughout the country purchasing larger quantities of illicit items. Lou will share stories from his experience in storefront operations and discuss aspects that make for a successful long-term operation.
Columbus Police Officer Anthony “AJ” Johnson
Sharing his story of adversity, trauma, and abuse, “Officer AJ” will break down how one positive interaction with a police officer forever redirected his life. AJ, who gathered a large social media following as “Ohnoitsdapopo,” will explain how he utilized social media to create positive relationships with the community that he serves and how it spread well beyond he ever could have imagined. He will share his beliefs on what makes a well balanced police officer and how he successfully navigates the delicate balancing act of community policing and enforcing the law.
- Central Ohio Cyber Drug Task Force: Darknet Case Study
- Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation: The Basics of Narcotics Financial Investigations
- Ohio State Highway Patrol: Interdiction Roadside Interviews
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration: The Global Expansion of Mexican Cartels and the Implications on the U.S. Drug Market
- Springfield Police Division & Ohio Narcotics Intelligence Center: Local Drug Operation: From the Ground to Prosecution
- Hamilton Heroin Task Force: Overdose Death Investigations 101
- Regional Toxicology Liaisons: DRE Classifications and Testimony Tips and Tricks for Labs
- Hot Topic: Multiple Perspectives on the Drug Epidemic
- Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Corrections: Drug Operations in Prison
And sessions on: video technology , juvenile crime, covert digital surveillance, border Trends, crime gun intelligence and NIBIN, polydrug trends.
- Parking will be included (Free). Additional information will be disseminated via email to those who register.
- Venue Info/Directions
The Fawcett Center is an event venue and does not provide accommodations. There are numerous hotels within a two-mile radius of the Fawcett Center. Additionally, the venue is located near State Route 315, providing direct access to the Columbus highway system.