Active aggressors can appear at schools, public places and even your job. It’s important to have a plan of action on what to do if this type incident were to occur.
Plan of Action
- If possible, attempt to evacuate the premises.
- Leave your belongings behind and evacuate whether your coworkers choose to also evacuate or stay.
- Leave the building with your hands visible for responding officers.
- Call 911
- If evacuation is not possible, proceed to the area designated as a “safe room.”
- Lock the door and/or barricade it with heavy objects.
- Call 911
- Silence your cell phone.
- If you are unable to get to the safe room, hide behind large objects, silence your cell phone and remain quiet.
- As a last resort, take action against the active aggressor.
- Attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active aggressor by acting as aggressively as possible against them.
- Use improvised weapons, and commit to your actions against the aggressor.
- Be familiar with entire work area and all employees
- Select a safe room with a working phone, first aid kit and door that can be locked.
- Have annual meetings with employees to make sure everyone knows the location of the safe room and understands the plan of action.
- Set up and run practice drills annually.
- Should an event occur, assist in directing employees to either evacuate or hide.
- Work with Human Resources to identify employees with a history of threats against the work place and ensure employee rosters are current.
- Ensure that employees display their issued I.D. cards at all times.
- Review and update building floor plans annually.
- Number rooms to assist first responders.
- Identify areas for employees to run to and areas to avoid in an evacuation.
- Have resources available for employees following an incident.
- Proactively work with law enforcement by making sure they have a master key of the building, having blue prints of the building available, allowing them to train in your facility and encouraging them to randomly stop by and be visible.